oh honey

oh honey
days are long, years are short.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Hodge Podge

Today was busy and I have much to say, much I want to remember. Although I am tired, today was one of those days that I'm already laughing about and one of those days I will long for when my children are grown.

Samantha is 8 months today. Her babyhood seems to be slipping through my fingers. How is she already this old?? It felt like Juliana was an infant for eternity, Trent less and this one I can barely blink and she's already pulling up on the coffee table and attempting to let go. However, when she burrows into my neck and sucks her thumb I stop trying to do whatever I was doing with my other hand and just hold her. I rest my head on her's and savor the moment because I know that it's fleeting.

                      * Hello little Beauty

Trent stayed home from school today because he had an appointment to get allergy tested. The appointment was in Encinitas right around the corner from the "good" Target. Newly remodeled, a family bathroom that you can literally pull your cart into (and I do) and a Starbucks that provides cup holders that latch to your cart for shopping/sipping convenience. I had a birthday gift I needed to pick up as well as the usual stuff, diapers, plastic baggies, etc. Anyways, we get in the car and Trent asks if he can look at his book. "oh sorry buddy, that sticker book is for Juliana's friend". Trent, "no my new Cars book." Me, "you didn't get a new Cars book". Trent, "it's in the bag, I see it." Sure enough there it was.

He must have snuck it in during the commotion in the book aisle. Commotion? Yes, commotion. There was a lady sitting smack dab in the middle of the aisle reading two of her children a book while her infant pulled all the books off the bottom row. I get it lady, you're the cool mom that pauses mid-shopping trip to read your kids a book you don't want to buy. FYI, there's a Barne's and Noble across the parking lot, let's move story hour over there so that THIS mom can grab a sticker book that hasn't been drooled on and not be late to her son's doctor's appointment. Ahhhh, felt good to get that out.

I'm sure you're wondering how I didn't see the new Cars book at check-out, I'm wondering that myself. I'm thinking Trent put it up there while I was removing the marshmallows he threw in as well as turquoise footless tights (these I considered keeping, but they weren't my size). Anyway's,  I let it slide. He was so disappointed to miss school and we were headed to a waiting room I knew wasn't going to provide child friendly reading material. I learned some new things about him today. Keep a close eye on him in Target and that he has sensitivities to both dairy and peanuts. Poor kid, he loves yogurt more than any other food.

Let's jump to bath time because seriously you can't make this stuff up. Tonight Juliana decided that the bathtub was going to be a jacuzzi. This idea was not communicated to me and I walked in just in time to see Trent attempting a cannonball off the side of the bathtub right above where Juliana was "back floating" (term used VERY loosely). I had to explain to them that even though we can cannon ball and "back float" in Grammy and Grandpa's jacuzzi, our pretend jacuzzi is reserved for sitting and soaking. I love that my girl is always looking for ways to make things fun, she's like her daddy in that regard. Unfortunately her good intentions aren't always the wisest ones. At least no got hurt (this time).

Lastly, my living room has blocks scattered everywhere, laundry on the couch and my kitchen is a mess. The kids and I made our first apple pie today. While it was baking we boiled up some orzo pasta and danced around to Adele. I'm no Barefoot Contessa, but I do love being in my kitchen. I love creating and tasting. I love Trent sitting on the counter in Buzz Lightyear underwear eating flour and Juliana on the step stool RIGHT next to me rolling the dough or pouring the sugar. I guess I'm hoping that if I engage them enough now they'll still want to hang out with me later in life. Mom, clearly you did something right because you're probably wondering now how to get rid of me...kidding.

they both just love to "help" her

Bless her heart, I think she hopes by sucking her thumb, they'll bug off. Sorry sister.

Thanks for sticking with me, feels good to get it all out. Feels good to know I can remember this day. Oh, and our pie...it's good. So good I'm kicking myself for not picking up vanilla ice cream earlier.
Happy Friday (all five of you who read this, you know I love you).

I cheated and used pre-made crust. I still had to roll it though.

My "fluted" edges need work, but looks aside, I did good.

3 comments:

  1. Your pie looks beautiful! And I am so sorry to have missed everything last night. I didn't get out of bed all evening. I'm bummed that picture of Trent at the doctor wasn't on here but you'll still have to show me. And that first picture of Samantha is a beauty. Gorgeous girl :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had the pie last night! Best apple pie I have ever had. My girl can bake like no other. (maybe it's all the "help" she has)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are supposed to post your recipe! That looks delicious!! You are a Trader Joe's advertisement! :-)

    ReplyDelete