oh honey

oh honey
days are long, years are short.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"A" Game


Something about the fall season looming has me on my A game. Summer was hard for me this year. We had fun no doubt, but most of the time I felt like a wanderer. I wasn't organized with scheduling or meals, half the time I would forget that I had committed to something, but fall, fall always gets me on track.

For instance, I was able to scrap all the above ingredients together and create something that my husband told me was amazing. I was able to look past the crazy mess in Trent's room and simply find joy in catching my little one in the act of her latest accomplishment.


I enjoyed the scene of puzzles at the dining room table and little ones crawling at my feet while I baked oatmeal raisin cookies for my first graders lunch. Finding joy, I'm really discovering the joy again...





I enjoyed our summer, I did. However, amidst the morning walks, water fun and family road trips I often caught myself grumbling. Complaining in my spirit and out loud of how much work everything is these days. I had to constantly remind myself the moments are precious and fleeting and that even when sunscreen gets in their eyes or they insist on buckling themselves in the car, the time is still short and I should be thankful for all of it.


After some intense prayer on Monday night, I awoke Tuesday and I felt the heaviness in my spirit had been lifted. I wasn't searching for joy, I was feeling it. The irritated screams of my youngest brought me laughter and the mess of play dough made me nostalgic. I'm back on my A game.

{i adore the freckles on her nose}

{i adore the way he LOVES yogurt}

{i adore her playfulness}

Good thing I really got my groove back because someone special was starting first grade and needed her mama to pack the perfect lunch, help decide which new outfit to wear and braid her golden strands into beautiful braids. I love her, I love her so much. I can't believe we're already here.




She had a great first day. To celebrate Grandma treated us all to ice cream...cotton candy ice cream with rainbow sprinkles and gummy bears. Love that that was her choice, it reassures me she that she's still little.




Hope you're all having a great week and that you're on your A game as well!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa Love,

    I can tell you with absolute certainty that it goes too fast. I sent Alanah to high school this week and I have no idea how this could have happened so fast. She is smart, funny, beautiful...and entirely too grown up. But, she came home from her first day of high school and the next thing I knew she was in the back yard with Kai running around and laughing. I knew the blonde little girl in braids who it seems like we just sent to first grade yesterday, is still inside this lovely young woman who is taking on high school. I got lucky when God gave us Alanah.

    So, I am also learning to embrace the chaos instead of control the chaos. It just goes so fast.

    Here are to many glasses of wine together as we embrace the wonderful world of motherhood.

    I love you. xoxo
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara and Lisa,

    I watch as these young ones blossom and grow. I can't help but remember days gone by when it was you two that were starting school, loosing teeth, and then looking too grown up too fast. But yes inside those "grown up" girls I could still see traces of the little girls they were. I still see that when the two of you are together laughing and sharing. So blessed that you are not only cousins but good friends. Grandma would be proud.


    Put on your "A" game and go with it...as it goes so fast.. Before you know it Savannah and Juliana will be the high school freshman looking way too grown up. And you will remember the days when braids and ice cream were the best.



    Love you,

    aunt julie/mom

    ReplyDelete