oh honey

oh honey
days are long, years are short.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Father/Daughter Dance 2013


Drake had been on the east coast all week. His flight home was scheduled to get in at 6:30 pm on Friday...the dance started at 6 pm. Like the dedicated daddy he is he got up at 4am to catch the earliest flight out...he was successful.


Good thing too because this girl was ready to dance.


Much like last year there was prep involved. Nail painting, hair curling, decisions about what to wear. However, different from last year was this, she was aware. Excited yes, but the wonderment of what to come had vanished. As her mama I'm constantly being reminded that her naivete is fleeting. I know, I know, she's six, but a very perceptive six. A six year old who gets things, questions things and is always eager to learn new things. Ever challenging this mama who often wishes she could freeze time.

I know I'm helpless to slow life down. Heck sometimes I'm so exhausted I wish that Samantha was six already, finger crossed that at least by then she'll sleep through the night. The point I'm slowly working towards is this,  I'm grateful for the father daughter dances. Not just for their time together, but for my opportunity to reflect. My heart melts over her excitement to dress up for her daddy, she relishes in his reaction when she twirls in front of him...may she always...

Last year, I dressed her, I decided how her hair would be. This year we compromised. She wanted to wear flats, yes she said "flats", I won on the tights, and the hair was a joint effort. Sister lets her opinions be known and believe me she has one about everything (apple doesn't fall far from the tree). I'm glad she is confident. I'm glad that as soon as she got home we snuggled on the couch and she told me all about it. Her excitement over the corsage and the Candyland theme of the dance. I know what her friends were wearing and her favorite song they played (One Direction, "That's What Makes You Beautiful")

My prayer is that when she's sixteen, little will have changed. We will compromise on what she wears, she will relish in her daddy's reaction and that she will still come home and fill me in on the details. Most importantly though, I pray that her identity will be in Christ and despite her broadened awareness she will still be confident that we love her and that she serves a Heavenly Father who loves her more.

She is so special and I pray she will always be aware of that.





2 comments:

  1. Jules, you look so grown up! I'm amazed. What a great husband and daddy you are Drake! I never had anything like this growing up, and who knows if I'll ever have a girl... we all know jake's opinion on this subject ;) - so seeing it through this is wonderful. You are such the romantic Lisa, and I love it. Her outfit, hearing about the experience and this whole thing is precious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I see little sister is watching it all and I'm sure will be more than ready when her day comes. Jules looks adorable. I'm very grateful to have Drake for a son (in law). Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete