oh honey

oh honey
days are long, years are short.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Today I Laughed

The sun rose too early this morning, cereal spilled on the kitchen floor and legos weren't going together the way they should. Matching shoes couldn't be found and that darn non-spicy toothpaste went missing again. We had frustration and tears all before 7:15 am.

After dropping the big kids off, Sammy and I did our usual loop through the drive-thru Starbucks. Grande drip (no room), venti ice water and a chocolate milk please. By the time I pulled up to Sammy's school I was ready to do the quick drop-off and bolt...or so I thought.

An hour and a half later I pulled out of that parking lot, my spirit filled to the brim. While talking to my sister-in-law, Jess, we ran into a sweet lady who we did Bible study with last year. Bless her heart, she just had her second baby and needed to know that someone has been where she's at... exhausted and un-showered with a non-compliant three year old and an infant that needs her, a husband that travels and that feeling that you're doing it all wrong. I'm familiar with that place and so is Jess.We chatted for awhile and I pray we encouraged her.

It was right as we were ending our conversation that our friend Chris was passing by. Chris and I go way back. There are many stories I could tell, but the thing about Chris, we always laugh. There is never a time, even if it's just for a moment that I don't laugh when I'm with her. Whether it be stranded in New York City, stuck on a train in Paris or in a hospital room she always brings humor. Always.

Boy did she deliver this morning. I can't even tell you specifics, I just know that at one point I had tears pooling in my eyes and Jess had that shoulder shake thing going on (that's what happens when she laughs really hard and I love seeing it). Bottom line. I needed to laugh today.

More than I needed to work out or grocery shop or waste time roaming Target, I needed to laugh. Laughing transformed my day and renewed my spirit.

Drake was gone the greater part of last week and has been gone all this week. Even with the amazing family support I have, it is easy to feel depleted when your spouse is away so much. Tonight I let Juliana make a pumpkin pie. Our house smells amazing right now and the legos all seem to be fitting the way they are supposed too. After the kids eat their pie and go to bed, my neighbor is coming over. She's never seen Notting Hill (I know right!!!). I will cut my self a generous piece of pie and top it with an even more generous dollop of whip cream and I will enjoy watching an American movie star fall in love with a British travel book shop owner.

Laughing with a dear friend and my sweet sister changed my day today. Laughing at ourselves and at life. If you're feeling at all depleted can I just encourage you to find someone to laugh with...and eat pie with because let's face it, life is too short! Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment